Is it possible to back up multiple HMIs via FTP?

Is it possible to back up multiple HMIs via FTP?
none 0.0 0

If someone wanted to have a fleet of HMI’s backup their data sample files to an FTP server, could this be accomplished with the connection to EA2.0?
We have a customer that would like to get all their data backups to one spot and automatically get the datasample backups on an FTP server and then a google drive location.
Can the automated uploads of these files to a server location be facilitated through easyaccess or can only one HMI connection be open at a time. If not, would they need to use a public FTP server with credentials to upload those files?

let me know if this could be clearer.

Hi @Cstarr,

Do you want these HMIs to backup data automatically or does your customer want to backup data manually? Also, is the FTP server on the same network as the HMIs or is it reachable via the internet?

1 Like

All the HMI’s would be in remote locations but have internet access. The backups would happen naturally as the end-user uses the machine. I was wondering if all the HMI’s could connect to an FTP server using the EA2.0 network instead of setting up a public server with credentials, etc.

@Cstarr,

EA 2.0 can only allow a client device to connect with the HMI. It cannot be used by the HMI to connect with a client in order to send data via FTP.

However, it is quite easy to setup a local FTP server using an application like FileZilla. The HMIs can then send files to the FTP server and the folder that is used may be ‘synced’ with Google drive via the following method:

1 Like

Could the HMI’s upload to a public FTP server on the internet?

@Cstarr,

The HMI can read or write to a public FTP server as long is it is given appropriate credentials.

1 Like

Brendon, if our server is using SFTP, can the HMI connect? I can see that there are three options, PLAIN, explicit over TLS, or implicit over TLS. Can any of these allow us to use SFTP or do we have to use a traditional FTP solution?

Hi @Cstarr,

At this time we can connect using traditional FTP or FTPS by setting the appropriate mode. We do not yet support SFTP.

1 Like