Can a large number of alarms degrade HMI performance?

Can a large number of alarms degrade HMI performance?
none 0.0 0
  • HMI Model: cMT-FHDX-820

The event log has a limit of 10000 entries, I’m curious if this limit is realistically achievable? At what point should we be concerned with degrading the HMI performance due to too many events being tracked? I’m looking at watching ~800 binary triggers setup as independent events and using the event log to track elapsed time of each of the 800 bits.

Hi @kcoiner,

Although the upper limit of event entries is 10,000 we usually recommend using 1,000 or less. In general, event logging does not have a significant impact on HMI performance, but when coupled with features like the “PLC Web Browser” or “JS Object” a large number of alarms may have an impact when the HMI’s resources are already being used to perform many other tasks.

1 Like

Great thanks, we won’t need to use the plc web browser nor JS objects, just many many bit lamps and event log display object.

If you are using a tag-based PLC and want to have a good performance in your case, using bool arrays as many as you can instead of creating many single bool tags for each binary trigger will improve the performance.

1 Like

Great. The bools are packed 16 to a word in consecutive registers in a modbus tcp server.

Actually Tim, I can read them into CoDeSys on the FHD and then repack them using the CoDeSys bool arrays instead of consecutive bits in the modbus registers? Would that help or hurt?

Based on what I read on this post, my thought is that you don’t need to repack them using the CoDeSys bool arrays in this case.

1 Like

Thanks Tim!