How do I communicate with a Danfoss FC series drive?

How do I communicate with a Danfoss FC series drive?
none 0.0 0
  • HMI Model: CMT-SVR-100
  • EasyBuilder Pro Version:
  • Serial Number or supplier:
    I am researching the best solution for a new application using only a cmt-svr-100 via Easy Access 2.0 to control a remote VFD using Modbus communications. For now, the Modbus commands will consist of a Start, Stop, speed reference and fault feedback. I assume that I would need to configure the cmt-svr as a Server for Modbus commands, but what about reading the fault bit from the drive…would I also need to setup a Client driver too? Another assumption is that I would be using the PLC Control Object for the screen’s Start & Stop pbs to run a Macro that toggles a Modbus bit for Run / Stop…at least that’s what I was thinking. Appreciate your input and any video references.

Hi @ProcessControl,

It is quite likely that the VFD in your application functions as a Modbus Server, so you will probably need to add the Modbus TCP/IP driver to the HMI’s project as well. The cMT-SVR will only need the server driver if you intend to use a another device to read from or write to the cMT-SVR. This driver is not required when using EasyAccess 2.0.

Although the PLC control object will accomplish this feature, you can probably use a “Combo Button” instead. This object is easy to configure and will allow you to quickly track down issues when debugging.

It’s been decided to use a Danfoss FC series drive. Looking online I see Weintek instructional video " Danfoss FC Series Driver with Weintek HMI, EasyBuilder Pro". Would I be able to use this as a reference and if so, would I need to create everything from scratch or might there be a copy of this program that I could reference? Thanks for your support.

Hi @ProcessControl,

Unfortunately we no longer have this application, but you may use this tutorial as a reference. Here is a link to the PLC connection guide for this driver: Link

Still confused on which driver to use. After looking at several videos I also see others using the “Modbus RTU, RTU over TCP” driver (RS-485 2W). Can’t get enough detail from any examples to determine a solid plan of action. Any suggestions…any other video / project recommendations?

@ProcessControl,

What is the model number of the VFD that you intend to use within this application? I am aware that some Danfoss FC series drives support Modbus RTU as well.

The drive is a Danfoss FC202 with Modbus RTU (2 wire RS-485) communications.

Thanks

Hi @ProcessControl,

Here is a link to the Danfoss user manual that lists the Modbus mapping for this device: Link. Also, here is a link to the connection guide for our “Modbus RTU, RTU over TCP” driver: Link. I believe that the setup should be relatively straight forward, but please review this documentation when you have time and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the great information and I see that Danfoss has two formats for communication: FC Protocol & Modbus RTU Protocol. Which protocol does the Danfoss FC Series driver use? Are there any video examples using the Modbus RTU Protocol / Danfoss drive? I did see an example video using Modbus RTU/ RTU over TCP of a Weintek MT8071iE HMI controlling a Danfoss FC302 that provided some detail but I assume not all. In either case would I only be using one driver? Again, thanks for all your support.

Modbus is a universal fieldbus (or communication protocol). Most modern VFD devices support Modbus RTU out of box, so it is a common practice that control engineers control a VFD device through Modbus RTU protocol by using a PLC or an HMI. Usually, using an HMI is suitable for configuring setpoints, status monitoring, and data visualization. Once you get familiar with Danfoss’ implementation of the Modbus RTU by studying its Modbus RTU implementation user manual, you can easily switch to other VFD products in the future (if needed), because you have some knowledge of integration using Modbus.
The FC protocol is a proprietary protocol created by Danfoss. If you are going to stick to Danfoss’ VFDs for many applications, you can consider the FC protocol.
Choose either one for your current application.

I see that Danfoss has two formats for communication:

• FC Protocol & Modbus RTU Protocol. Which protocol does the Danfoss FC Series driver use?
  • Are there any video examples using the Modbus RTU Protocol / Danfoss drive?

So, if I use Modbus RTU, RTU over TCP I don’t require any other drivers?..would I need to add the Modbus Server driver because the HMI is the master?

Thanks

@ProcessControl,

That is correct, your Danfoss drive supports two different communication protocols.

• The Danfoss FC Series driver within EasyBuilder Pro communicates with the drive using FC protocol.
  • Unfortunately, we have not made any tutorials with a Danfoss FC series drive using Modbus RTU, but other individuals not affiliated with Weintek may have published videos of our HMIs and Danfoss drives.

If you decide to use Modbus, you only need to add the “Modbus RTU, RTU over TCP” driver to communicate with this device.